Welcome to ...
Multi-modal Verification for Teleservices
and Security Applications web page at
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
Table of Contents
- Project Objectives
- Research topics addressed by our team
M2VTS project addresses the issue of secured access to local and centralised
services in a multimedia environment. The major problem in user authentification is to
achieve on the one hand toll performance: false acceptance rate as low as possible
(minimise access to impostors), and false rejection rate as low as possible (a registered
user should access to his system in any case), and on the other hand stand the wide range
of conditions of use of such systems as well as to provide ergonomically viable solutions.
The use of multiple modalities will help to overpass potential technical
limitations of individual modalities as well as take benefit of the emerging multimedia
environment : workstations, network computers, smart phones are more and more equiped
with audio and video capabilities. The research is driven by the application needs and
user requirements. Therefore, work has essentially been driven by three main goals:
- Develop platforms for evaluation, implementation and fast prototyping of
technology. Submit these platforms to user tests in real situations, in order to measure
the adequation between user requirements and current maturity of the technology.
- Develop algorithmic solutions for user authentification in a multi modal context.
Implement these solutions on the software platforms for fast prototyping. Refinements of
the algorithms based on the results of the user tests in real situations.
- Develop prototypical applications for end users.
More information on the project achievements can be found at public web page of the project.
[ top ]
[ top ]
- K. Sobottka, I. Pitas. Localization of facial
regions and features in color images. Fourth Open German-Russian Workshop on
Pattern Recognition and Image Understanding. Valday, The Russian Federation, March
- K. Sobottka and I. Pitas. Looking for faces and
facial features in color images. Full paper published in Pattern Recognition and
Image Analysis: Advances in Mathematical Theory and Applications. Russian Academy of
- M. Acheroy, C. Beumier, J. Biguen, G. Chollet, B. Duc, S. Fischer, D. Genoud, P.
Lockwood, G. Maitre, S. Pigeon, I. Pitas, K. Sobottka and L. Vandendorpe.
verification tools using speech and images. European Conference on Multimedia
Applications, Services and Techniques. Louvain-La-Neuve, Belgium, May 1996.
- K. Sobottka and I. Pitas. Extraction of facial
regions and features using color and shape information. International Conference on
Pattern Recognition (ICPR 96), Austria, September 1996.
- K. Sobottka and I. Pitas. Segmentation and
tracking of faces in color images. Second Int. Conf. on Automatic Face- and
Gesture-Recognition 96, Killington, Vermont, USA, October 14-16, 1996.
- K. Sobottka and I. Pitas. A novel method for automatic face segmentation, facial feature
extraction and tracking ( pp. 1-18 ,
pp. 19-22 ,
pp. 23-34 ), Signal
Processing: Image Communication vol. 12, pp. 263--281, 1998.
- C. Kotropoulos and I. Pitas. Rule-based face
detection in frontal views. 1997 IEEE Int. Conf. on Acoustics, Speech and Signal
Processing, Munich, Germany, April 20-24, 1997.
- C. Kotropoulos, I. Pitas, S. Fischer, and B. Duc. Face
authentication using Morphological Dynamic Link Architecture. First Int. Conf. on
Audio- and Video- based Biometric Person Authentication (AVBPA 97), Crans-Montana,
Switzerland, March 1997.
- K. Sobottka and I. Pitas. A fully automatic
approach to facial feature detection and tracking. First Int. Conf. on Audio- and
Video- based Biometric Person Authentication (AVBPA 97), Crans-Montana, Switzerland, March
- C. Kotropoulos and I. Pitas. Face verification
based on morphological dynamic link architecture. 1997 IEEE/EURASIP Workshop on
Nonlinear Signal and Image Processing (NSIP 97), Mackinac Island, Michigan, USA, September
- C. Kotropoulos and I. Pitas. Face
authentication based on morphological grid matching. 1997 IEEE Int. Conference on
Image Processing (ICIP 97), Santa-Barbara, California, USA, October 26-28, 1997
- A. Tefas, C. Kotropoulos and I. Pitas. Face verification based on
morphological shape decomposition. 3rd Int. Workshop on Face and Gesture
Recognition, Nara, Japan, April 14-16, 1998
- C. Kotropoulos, A. Tefas and I. Pitas. Face
authentication using variants of elastic graph matching that incorporate local
discriminant coefficients. 1998 IEEE Int. Conference on Acoustics, Speech and
Signal Processing (ICASSP 98), Seattle, Washington, U.S.A., May 12-15, 1998
- A. Tefas, C. Kotropoulos and I. Pitas. Variants of Dynamic Link
Architecture based on mathematical morphology for frontal face authentication. 1998
IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR 98),
Santa Barbara, California, U.S.A., June 23-25, 1998
- V. Chatzis, A.G. Bors and I. Pitas. Decision Level Fusion by
Clustering Algorithms for Person Authentication. 1998 European Signal Processing
Conference, Rhodes, Greece, September 8-11, 1998
- C. Kotropoulos and I. Pitas. Linear
Projection algorithms and morphological dynamic link architecture for frontal face
authentication. 1998 European Signal Processing Conference, Rhodes, Greece,
September 8-11, 1998
- C. Kotropoulos, A. Tefas and I. Pitas. Frontal
face authentication using variants of dynamic link matching based on mathematical
morphology. 1998 IEEE Int. Conference on Image Processing, Chicago, U.S.A., October
[ top ]